With the busy lives we lead, especially as dependent on technology as we have become, it is easy for us to lose our main focus in life which most importantly should be on ourselves. We have become so wrapped up in everyday routines which can lead to “going through the motions” not giving a second thought to ‘who we are and why we are here’. Losing our self-awareness can impact the quality of our lives in such a way that if we do not turn inward and question why we are here, then we may not discover our true selves and our true purpose in life.
Self-awareness was recognized as early as ancient Greek terminology “know thyself”. When the main focus becomes ourselves, allowing our attention to turn inward, we in turn discover our strengths and our weaknesses, building on our current foundation and hopefully live up to our true potential. It is not the easiest thing to learn how to become more self-aware and raise our consciousness to a higher level. With all the distractions in a technology-oriented world, along with the hectic lives we live, we become complacent in life and just go with the flow. This may lead us down a path of unfulfillment, not knowing our truest form of self.
Here are a few ways to improve our self awareness:
- Keeping an open mind allows us the ability to control our own emotions which will help in understanding the emotions of others.
- Be mindful of your strengths and your weaknesses. This will allow us to build on our current abilities, improving ourselves and becoming stronger.
- Understanding our intuition allows us to listen and respect that inner voice which tells us how we feel. It is most important to listen and trust your gut.
- Knowing our boundaries will teach us what is important in our lives and setting priorities will aid us in what to spend our valuable time on.
- Keeping a journal and writing down our thoughts allows us to stay focused on our feelings and teaches us a higher consciousness level giving us a greater understanding of who we are.
With self-awareness comes the wisdom of self-acceptance and we learn to be at peace within ourselves. Having peace of mind with who we are allows us to be happier and freer to live the life we want. A discovery of true self can show us the things we value as important in our lives, a true appreciation for what matters and the things that make us happy. It also teaches us to love and accept ourselves exactly as we are.